Richards Castle - Pre conquest Norman Castle
Richards Castle is a rural village situated 5 miles south of Ludlow with a population of approx 700 and divided virtually in half by the Shropshire & Herefordshire county boundary. Set in beautiful countryside are the remains of the historic Castle and 12th century church. The Mortimer Trail is on the doorstep with forest walks and cycle trails amidst an abundance of wildlife. Hanway Common with spectacular panoramic views is the annual venue for the Soap Box Derby - now a popular and great family fun day.
Top things to do & see
- Mortimer Forest – walks & forest trails
- Richards Castle – ruins next to church – one of four pre conquest Norman castles – beautiful setting
- St Bartholomew’s Church Richards Castle – Knight’s Templar chapel, detached bell tower from 1400AD and Georgian box pews
- Soap Box Derby – wacky races held every July
- Regular events in both village halls & local area
- Croft Castle – National Trust
- Berrington Hall – National Trust
- Picnic on Hanway Common – great views
- Bircher Common – National Trust – great walks & good for butterfly spotting.
- Mortimer Country Bus walks – 492 bus
Accommodation near Richards Castle
The Barn at Ryecroft - self catering holiday cottage
The Castle Inn
Please click in the thumbnails below to enlarge images.