Elton - Cycling
This group of hamlets, in the Teme Valley, shelter in the lee of Mortimer Forest lie in Northern Herefordshire between Ludlow and Wigmore. They were all originally part of the Downton Castle estate and many of the points of interest are tied to the history of the Downton Estate, which was once a major produce of iron - with great forges at Bringewood, and Mortimer Forest, managed to provide the forge with the fuel it needed.
Top things to do & see
- Elton church – Norman, situated next to Elton Hall – once home to Andrew Knight – founder of the Royal Horticultural Society
- Hire a bike at Wheely Wonderful Cycling
- Mortimer Forest – walks, Geology trail, orienteering route
- Elton Hall gardens - open occasionally
- visit Elton "Hutch" outside church - local cakes, preserves & brica brac - sold in aid of church funds
Accommodation in Elton
Old Downton Lodge - restaurant with rooms, bed & breakfast
Marlbrook Hall - farmhouse bed & breakfast
The Old Granary - self catering
camping at Monstay Farm
Old Downton Lodge Restaurant
also available at Wigmore and Leintwardine
Please click in the thumbnails below to enlarge images.